Frequently Asked Questions
The responses to frequently asked questions (FAQs) on this page are based on inquiries received from other users of the NCS Archive. If you do not find what you need on this page, please contact us with any additional questions.
- Q1. I am an NCS participant, and have questions about the NCS.
- The NICHD has provided a set of FAQs for NCS participants on their website. There is also a telephone number and email address that participants can use to have their NCS questions answered.
- Q2. I am having problems accessing my information in the NCS Archive.
For technical assistance with logging in or using the NCS Archive, please complete the Contact Form by selecting Contact Us. Help desk staff are available Monday through Friday, 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM ET. You will be contacted by close of the next business day. If you are having issues with NIH credentials you may also want to contact the NIH Service Desk
- Q3. How do I register for the NCS Archive?
- On the NCS Archive Home page, select the “Login In/Register” link on the main menu, or register here.
- This will take you to the Log In page. From the Log In page you can choose to access the Archive with NIH Credentials or the IMS Login Service.
- To use the IMS Login Service:
- Enter your information into the applicable fields.
- Click on the “Register” button.
- Check your email. You will receive an email with a link to complete the registration process. Click on the link.
- If you do not receive the email within 30 minutes, check your spam folder. If you still did not receive it, please complete the Contact Form by selecting Contact Us and we will assist you with completing the registration process.
- Q4. What documents do I need to submit to obtain approval for access to NCS participant data?
To request access to participant data, investigators need to:
- Complete the registration process.
- Select the Research Request on the NCS Archive homepage menu:
- Access and complete the Data User training.
- Complete and submit the online Data Request Form or Data & Sample Request Form.
- Including uploading relevant IRB approvals and/or funding information.
- Upload a signed RMDA.
- RMDA documents are project specific, and a new signed form is needed for each new project.
- Q5. How long does it take to receive a response to a study approval request, and how will I be notified?
- There is no set timeline to receive a response. Each request is reviewed by NCS Archive staff.
- If there are questions from NCS Archive staff, the NICHD, or any of the reviewers, you will need to respond to those inquiries before a request advances further in the process.
- We will notify and contact you within your request (My Requests). These communications and status changes to your request will trigger an email notification.
- If you have any concerns or questions, please complete the Contact Form by selecting Contact Us.
- Q6. How will I know when my data is ready?
- Once your study has been approved, NCS Archive statisticians will create datasets for analysis, based on your study application.
- If the statisticians have any questions, they will contact you.
- You will need to respond to those inquiries prior to your datasets becoming available.
- When the analysis dataset is constructed, NCS Archive staff will work with you to secure access.