Archive Update (Feb. 2018) – Teaching Dataset, Summary Data, and Existing Research Inventory
Posted by Peter Gilbertson on Feb. 8, 2018, 10:11 a.m.
The February 2018 release of the NCS Archive adds two fantastic free, public resources to the Archive and expands the available Archive information. The first is the Teaching Datasets page, which makes available a base child-level dataset and several topic-related modules (Anthropometry, Sleep, Feeding) as free resource to supplement classroom examples and student academic projects. The second is the new Data Briefs and Abstracts page. The Data Briefs and Abstracts page adds data briefs, short summaries and comparisons on specific topic areas of available Archive data, along with consolidating and expanding the information from previous Archive professional presentations.
Registered Archive users now have access to a new Research Proposal Inventory of active and completed research projects using the NCS Archive data. The goal of the inventory is to inspire new research projects, avoid duplication of efforts, and promote collaborations among researchers with shared interests.
These updates along with other improvements are outlined below.
- Site introductory text is updated to reflect the recent updates including adding links to free teaching datasets
- Glossary updated to include new terms used on the Archive.
Data & Documentation
- Study Documents page
- The NCS Study Documents is re-titled to Study Documents.
- An updated NCS ARS Physical Measures Supplemental Guide is posted.
- Teaching Datasets
- A new Teaching Datasets page is added to the NCS Archive. The datasets are a freely available resource to researchers, teachers, and students.
- There are currently four teaching datasets available is SAS and CSV format:
- NCS Child
- Infant Feeding
- Sleep Routine
- The Publications page is re-titled to Bibliography.
- Abstracts from NCS Archive specific publications are now accessed from the Data Briefs and Abstracts page.
- New publications are added to the bibliography.
- Autism risk classification using placental chorionic surface vascular network features
- Placental gross shape differences in a high autism risk cohort and the general population
- Data Briefs and Abstracts
- A new Data Briefs and Abstracts page is added to the NCS Archive. This page shares data briefs and select presentations from the NCS Archive. These documents highlight the information and resources available in the NCS Archive.
- Data Briefs are short summaries and comparisons of the data in the NCS Archive to other public data sources – like CDC data. There are currently two available:
- Abstracts share a select collection of the NCS Archive support team’s professional and scientific meetings presentations and posters.
- Scientific venues include:
- American Public Health Association Annual Meeting
- American Academy of Pediatrics National Conference
- American Educational Research Association (AERA) Annual Meeting
- Scientific venues include:
- Research Proposal Inventory
- A Research Proposal Inventory has been added to the Archive. This new page identifies ongoing research projects using NCS data and samples.
- Researchers interested in collaboration with other existing research projects are encouraged to contact NCS help desk to obtain contact details
- Instrument Inventory
- A new version of the instrument inventory page is implemented to enhance user experience with ease of navigation incorporated.
- Both the IVS Protocol and ARS Protocol pages have been updated
- Protocol Browser
- Updated dataset names were incorporated where applicable
- Variable Locator
- Visual improvements were added to the variable locator to improve ease of use
Sample & Lab Data
- Biological and Environmental Sample Repository Inventory
- The informational tables are now automated to more quickly reflect existing inventory of available specimens and samples.
- As samples are sent to approved research projects, the table will be updated